Counselling for Children & Young People
Karen works creatively with children and young people using therapeutic play, sand-tray therapy and art as therapy. Play is the first language of children and these methods work very well in helping children and young people work through their problems.
Karen offers individual counselling to children aged 5+. Karen will meet with a parent/guardian before meeting with the child. She will take a family history to get an understanding of the background of the child and the problem as the parent/guardian sees it. Parental consent is required for all children and young people under 16 years of age. A parent/guardian must remain on the premises while the child is in counselling.
Young people between 16 and 18 may be referred in by an parent/guardian and can give their own consent provided they are assessed as able to understand and engage in the process of counselling. Young people over the age of 18 can self refer and give their own consent.
Counselling for Adults and Couples
Karen offers individual session to adults for a variety of issues; depression, stress & anxiety, relationships, anger, self-esteem, unresolved childhood issues, trauma, bereavement, grief and loss.
Karen works with couples experiencing communication difficulties, conflict over the influence of family of origin or parenting styles or the impact of affairs and betrayal. Couple counselling can give you a better understanding of yourselves as individuals in the relationship and how to work as a team.
Unfortunately relationships can break down and Karen can help couples going through separation and divorce. Counting the cost involves not just the practical details of ending the relationship but the emotional cost of the 'uncoupling' process. It offers you the opportunity to better understand what was good and what was less helpful about your relationship in a safe environment.
I am registered with the University of Ulster to support and supervise student counsellors in training with their clinical caseload.
Karen offers personal therapy to counsellors to help with their personal development at any time in their career.
Karen offers supervision to counsellors for their clinical and professional practice in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework.
Qualifications & Training
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute Level 1 Affect Dysregulation, Survival Defenses and Traumatic Memory 2015
- CPCAB (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body) Level 5 Diploma in Counselling Children & Young People 2014
- Certificate in Art as Therapy 2013
- Certificate in Couple & Relationship Counselling 2012
- Certificate in Cognitive Therapy Methods, Northern Ireland Centre for Trauma & Transformation NICTT 2011
- CPCAB (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body) Level 6 Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision, 2011
- Queen's University of Belfast Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling, 2006/7
- Certificate in Skills, Knowledge and Understanding of Counselling (Integrative) 2005
- Level 2 Certificate in Community Volunteering CCEA 2004
- Delta Parenting Programme 2003
- Post Abortion Training, Care in Crisis, 2002
- Pregnancy Crisis Training, Care Confidential 2001
- The Competent Helper, Institute for Counselling and Personal Development 2001
- Steps to Excellence, The Pacific Institute 2000
Continuing Professional Development courses and workshops in: Grief & Trauma (Wave), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) NICTT,
Supporting Families, Understanding Domestic Violence, Child Protection (Children in Northern Ireland), Introduction to Gay Affirmative Therapy (Rainbow Project), Anger Therapy, Brief Solution Focused Therapy, Working with Groups (The Skills Development Service Ltd), Couple Counselling, Working with Sexual Addictions(relating2others), Understanding Your Eating (Prof Julia Buckroyd), Childhood Sexual Abuse (Zest for Life), Adolescent Development (Contact Youth), Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Stress Management (Stressless Solutions), Creative Therapy Techniques, Working with the Inner Child, Shame & Attachment (Deep Release), Art as Therapy & Introduction to Jungian Sandplay Therapy (Art Therapy Works)